VCU McGlothlin Medical Education Center Topping Out
University Public Affairs
The final steel beam will be added to the elevator shaft, completing the steel work of the James W. and Frances G. McGlothlin Medical Education Center now under construction at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine on Tuesday, Nov. 15.
A “Topping Out” celebration will take place at 10:30 a.m. inside the construction site. As escorts are needed, it is advised to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the celebration. News Media showing credentials will be able to park on a first-come, first-served basis 1300 block of East Marshall Street in the loading zone.
Prior to brief remarks from officials, those in attendance, including James and Frances McGlothlin, will have an opportunity to inscribe a message and sign their name on the final beam. Following the remarks, the beam will be hoisted to the top level of the new building and secured into place.
The event marks the completion of the structural frame of the 12-story, 200,000-square-foot building that will bring together faculty, medical students, residents and practicing physicians in a state-of-the-art training hub that is being designed to create a new standard in medical education. The interior has been planned to house the most significant renovation to the school’s curriculum in more than 30 years.
Earlier this year, VCU officials announced a $25 million donation – one of the largest in the university’s history -- to the VCU School of Medicine by the McGlothlins. The donation itself was made in recognition of Dr. Harold Young, director of the Harold F. Young Neurosurgical Center at the VCU Medical Center. Dr. Young also is professor and founding chair of the Department of Neurosurgery, a position he has held for more than half of his 38-year tenure at VCU.
Completion is scheduled for Spring 2013.